Assignment 2: Annotated Bibliography
An annotated bibliography is a that gives a summary of each of the entries. The purpose of is to provide the reader with a summary and an evaluation of each source. Each summary should be a concise exposition of the source’s central idea(s) and give the reader a general idea of the source’s content.
The purpose of this assignment is to utilize what you learned thus far. To do that you will be writing an annotated bibliography.
One way in which psychology examines issues in life-span development is to review current research on related topics. For this assignment you will review current research and provide a critical evaluation on that research through an annotated bibliography. An annotated bibliography is simply a brief summary and analysis of the journal article reviewed. For more information on the required format of the bibliography please click on annotated bibliography template.
You will need to find research articles located in scholarly journals. Scholarly journal articles are also referred as primary source peer reviewed articles. A scholarly journal article can be found in the South University Online Library. To find more information regarding utilizing the South University Library and accessing scholarly journal articles click on Library Guide. What cannot be used for this assignment are web pages, magazines, newspapers, text books, and other books. Finally, current research for our purposes is an article that was published within the last 5 to 6 years.
Remember this is a course on human development so when looking for articles make sure that it is related to the subject matter covered in the course. Include one or more of the following as topic areas in your search:
•Major developmental theories across the lifespan
•Nature of geographic, gender, social, cognitive, emotional, and developmental factors during each period of development
•Developmental factors that impact one another.
•Historical and current trends in development
•Current trends which may differentially impact the future development of populations in the United States
•Social, and diversity issues related to developmental psychology
For this assignment you will find 2 scholarly journal articles for each of these age groups:
The annotated bibliography should include for each article.
•Write a 1-2 paragraph summary for each article.
•Write a 1-2 paragraph analysis and evaluation for each article found.
•Make sure to integrate what you learned in your course readings in that analysis
•Used correct spelling, grammar, and professional vocabulary.
•Used APA format including:
◦Cited and referencing all sources using the APA format.
Submit your annotated bibliography in a Word document to the W3: Assignment 2 Drop box by Tuesday, August 26, 2014.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
Name your document: SU_PSY2022_W3_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
Cite any sources you use using the APA format on a separate page.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Wrote a detailed summary (1-2 paragraphs) summary for each article.
•Wrote a 1-2 paragraph analysis and evaluation for each article found.
•Integrated course and text readings into the analysis.
•Used correct spelling, grammar, and professional vocabulary and utilized APA format.
•Used APA format including:
◦Cited and referencing all sources using the APA format.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.